THE DAY WE HAVE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR IS FINALLY UPON US. After what has seemed like the longest week ever, we are finally free to relax, sit back, and file into a blue police box that’s bigger on the inside.
I mean i guess you could’ve been counting down the days until you could see your favorite cousins, avoid your racist uncle, and gorge on pies. But we all know that doesn’t even come close to matching the fun of traveling back in time to listen to songs that trigger memories that are specific to me. This year we go back to the magical time of 2000. When gas was 1.26 a gallon, the first X-Men movie hit theaters, and we had just elected a bumbling (but highly entertaining) buffoon (WHO DIDN’T CARE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE. Word to 2000’s Ye) into the highest office in the land. The year 2000 was an interesting year for me. I was six years old and had just become a big brother, and for the first time that I can remember I was starting to really listen to the music that I heard around me and pick out which ones were my favorites. Now since my musical judgement was really just beginning to develop, it wasn’t the best by any means. That being said, I’m really impressed with some of the songs six year old me chose as his favorites. I guess I’ve always had an ear for great jams (SOMEONE IN THE INDUSTRY HIRE ME. I PROMISE YOU’RE MISSING OUT). The iPod wouldn’t become available for another year, but if it had have existed in 2000 and I for some reason as a six year old had one, these are the songs that would have been on it.
Dare’s 2000’s playlist
- It Wasn’t Me – Shaggy Ft. Ricardo Ducent
- All The Small Things – blink-182 (A karaoke classic.)
- He Wasn’t Man Enough For Me – Toni Braxton
- Drive – Incubus
- One More Time – Daft Punk (one of my favorite music videos at the time as well.)
- It’s Gonna Be Me – *NSYNC (This song is a masterpiece I don’t care what you have to say.)
- Say My Name – Destiny’s Child
- Minority – Green Day
- Graduation (Friends Forever) – Vitamin C ( You could not escape this song. I’ll unironically listen to it over and over next December.)
- Oops! I Did It Again – Britney Spears
- Maria Maria – Santana
- Shackles (Praise You) – Mary Mary ( we sang this EVERY Sunday in children’s church.)
- Thong Song – Sisqo (…what?!)
- Last Resort – Papa Roach ( I guess my emo phase started earlier than I previously thought.)
So there you have it. Some of these songs I can’t believe I ever liked (that’s a lie they are ALL my musical babies) and some of these songs I listen to at least once a week. If you want to take a stroll down memory lane go ahead and look up the list, or if you think my six year old musical tastes were nausea inducing and your six year old ( or however old you were in 2000) tastes were vastly superior to mine, then leave a comment telling me what you were into the year we were all apologizing to Ms. Jackson (I know I know it’s not on the list).
Saturday, I’ll be reviewing an album that you guys suggested! Who’s suggestion did I take? What genre will it be? Will Goku make it in time to save his friends? Find out next time on DragonBall- er I mean be sure to keep your eyes peeled for Saturday’s post!
There’s Some Flava For Your Ear